Buying seasonal fish house on ML

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

What should I know before I buy? Going up to look at some tomorrow.

KJK
    Cottage Grove

I’d say something with a minimum 10ft width.
    We found 8ft width got a little tight for us.

sktrwx2200

Steel skids….. good to go
    Wood skids….be leery if it hasn’t been pulled out on the ice the last couple years, and pay close attention to how well it is has been “blocked up” over the summer period. If they leave the wood to sit on the ground it tends to rot. If it needs new skids it could be a couple thousand $ issue depending on what you replace it with.
    Also inspect the roof for leaks.
    Those are the two biggies in my book.
    Also i would barter pretty hard, there are at least twice as many houses for sale right now than I’ve ever seen.
    Post the photos of what you buy
    Good luck.

deertracker

If new skids are needed there is a guy in either the Isle or Malmo area that does it. Maybe someone can remember his name.
    DT

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

A few things that I would consider… Take a good look at the heating system, an insulated floor is a huge plus, you’ll definitely want one a generator hook up and if possible bring along a generator to do some quick testing, if you don’t have a generator you can bring a 12v battery to verify that lights, outlets, etc work (and maybe a set of jumper cables just in case you need to farmer a hook up), it might sound like a luxury but having a ceiling fan is a huge benefit for keeping air temps from stratifying and also keeping the holes open at night, also a luxury but lots of storage shelving is a huge plus, look at how good are a the tow hooks and jack plates, ideally you’ll also want towing hooks both on the front and back.

I’m sure there are plenty of other things I’m not thinking about as well. If you happen to be looking in the Malmo area and wanted to borrow a generator for electrical testing PM me and if my dad is at home you ccould stop over and borrow mine.

Will

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.