Belle plain flat heads ?

• mr. pike
    Participant

I’ve always fished the Mississippi and St.Croix for Flat heads but it’s a very long drive for me. Im very close to the Minnesota river Belle Plain area. Has anyone fished this area of the river? Good Success? If so where are some starting points? Thanks

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It’s a very good area to fish flatheads.

I’m surprised you haven’t heard of the Belle Plaine catfish contest.

Click Here<

There are others on the board that fish over that way that could give you much better info then I…but fish the pool areas that have some structure to them. I’m sure the water levels are higher then normal for this time of year.

Live and cut sucker should be working well about now.

mr. pike
    Participant

It’s a very good area to fish flatheads.

I’m surprised you haven’t heard of the Belle Plaine catfish contest.

Click Here<

There are others on the board that fish over that way that could give you much better info then I…but fish the pool areas that have some structure to them. I’m sure the water levels are higher then normal for this time of year.

Live and cut sucker should be working well about now.

Thanks Brian, I’ll try to get in touch with some of those guys.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I remember when i thought that stretch was the greatest fishery in US, now I don’t even think its the best fishery within 60 miles. I don’t know if we need tighter restrictions or what, but there just simply isnt as many fish as there used to be.

I don’t enjoy driving all the way over to P2 or the Croix all the time, but given the choice the Miss would probably be my first (at least the past few years). The bite is more consistent and the fishing is just plain easier.

To be completely honest, I now go out every night around here (BP/Jordan/Chaska/Shakopee) expecting to get skunked and most times live up to that expectation. Its kind of sad actually. (

Having said that you certainly can find some nice fish around BP, put your time in with live or fresh cut bait and you will catch fish for sure. Don’t expect a lot of fish though.

mr-special
    Participant
    MPLS

I remember when i thought that stretch was the greatest fishery in US, now I don’t even think its the best fishery within 60 miles. I don’t know if we need tighter restrictions or what, but there just simply isnt as many fish as there used to be.

I don’t enjoy driving all the way over to P2 or the Croix all the time, but given the choice the Miss would probably be my first (at least the past few years). The bite is more consistent and the fishing is just plain easier.

To be completely honest, I now go out every night around here (BP/Jordan/Chaska/Shakopee) expecting to get skunked and most times live up to that expectation. Its kind of sad actually. (

Having said that you certainly can find some nice fish around BP, put your time in with live or fresh cut bait and you will catch fish for sure. Don’t expect a lot of fish though.

+1

I grew up fishin that area but there are still fish tobe had just not like the haydays
    Regardless ur still fishin )

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.