My Broken Baitcaster

• cade-laufenberg
    Participant
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I have a crappy quantum that i bought a few years ago, and after about a year, The little guide on the reel that you slide your line through decided to stop sliding back and forth like it is supposed to causing the line to build up in one spot. It catches all the time..This also causes some insane snarls in the line and it just isnt worth the hassle…So i hung the reel up in my garage and it has stayed there for about a year and a half for two years now. We took it in to ace to see about getting it fixed, but they said it would cost about 20 bucks to fix, and the reel was only about 25 on sale at gander. D-nort told me to send it in to quantum, but i was wondering if this is a good idea? what would be better? send it to quantum? or take it to gander?

Just wondering…I sure wouldnt mind having that extra baitcaster around.

Thanks a lot

Cade

aaronr
    Participant
    Dundee, Iowa

hey cade,
    did you take it apart yet? well if so make sure you put the spool in right i did that on a abu and then we notice what i did wrong there not to hard to fix they can be touchy tho
    Thanks,
    Aaron

fluker
    Participant

Hi Cade,

It sounds like the pawl is worn down. The bar that goes across the front is called the worm gear and the line guide slides back and forth across it as the handle turns. The pawl has 2 teeth that fit into the grooves of the worm gear and that is what guides the line guide back and forth. What has happened is your pawl teeth are worn down. For a quick fix, try taking the cap off the bottom of the line guide. There should be a straight screwdriver notch in it to do so. Be careful not to let the pawl fall out of the line guides when you do this. There might be a very thin washer in the bottom of the cap. What you want to do is take something, maybe a small piece of paper folded 2 or 3 times and put in the bottom of the cap. This will push the pawl further up and hopefully catch the grooves in the worm gear better. Add a small paper spacer and then add more a little at a time until it works.

For a long term fix, call Quantum or any Reel Repair shop and they can probably order a new pawl for you. If you send me an e-mail I can get you to my buddy at heartland tackle service who might be able to get you a new pawl.

Fluker

jason26
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, IA

I would have to agree with D-nort and say send it to Quantum. I read the other post and he is right u may just get a new one.

cade-laufenberg
    Participant
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

thanks much fluker, i will try your idea, and if it doesnt work, i will send it in..I like the idea of getting a brand new reel for free much better than ordering a new part, but if quantum wont settle for that, i will consider your offer. Thanks a lot

Cade

krazzyk45
    Participant
    La Crosse, WI

Hey Bigfish,
    Before you try all that complicated stuff. Did you make sure that the line guide cap is on tight? Like fluker said, there is a slot on the cap for a flat head screwdriver. Tighten that down good and see if the guide works properly again. The same thing happened to me last week and that’s all that I had to do.

cade-laufenberg
    Participant
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

OH MY GOD FLUKER YOU ARE THE MAN I AM SO HAPPY NOW>>>>>>IT WORKED!

Thanks so much

cade-laufenberg
    Participant
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Northwoods, i tried that too a long time ago, and it helped a little but it still would catch every now and then…what fluker suggested worked like a charm…i have been reeling it now for a good while and it hasnt caught yet….thanks man

cade

fluker
    Participant

Good job Cade. I would still suggest getting a new pawl for permanent replacement. Might cost you a couple bucks total and the replacement is as simple as the little trick I taught you.

ReelDoc
    Participant

Bigfish — I’m a friend of Fluker and have a reel repair shop. Email me your snail mail address and the the EXACT model name and number. I’ll send you a replacement pawl for your reel FREE. Good luck, young fella.

ReelDoc
    [Email][email protected][/Email]

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

Welcome to IDA ReelDoc.
    You are to be commended on your jester. This is what makes the IDA site rock

cade-laufenberg
    Participant
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Yeah, thanks reel doc! And welcome to IDA!

eronningen
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Good hook Upchuck

jeremy-crawford
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids Area

Jim,
    I have a pile of Shimano reels full of sand.
    Any chance you would clean and repair them. They all Curado’s and Chronarchs. Just shoot me an address and a ball park price and I will send them along with some green.
    jc

jeremy-crawford
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids Area

I just looked up our rates and think I fall somewhere between very dirty and buzz off…. I had to dig them out of a lake in MN after an awful storm. PAcked with Sand.
    Let me know if you are interested and I will have them in the mail Friday.
    jc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.