August Fishing Reports Rock River, WI

• Gregg Pfeifer
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Since nobody fished the river in July maybe jumping ahead to August will get everyone fired up again. Summer only lasted 2 days (with temps above or close to 90) this year so I’m hoping for a long and prosperous fall chasing eyes and crappie. My other hope is that a cool summer doesn’t mean a long, bitterly cold winter. As much as I like ice fishing I’m still not ready for that quite yet. Whatcha been catchin’?

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Aggressive August walleyes still pounding nuckle ball jigs with live bait in the southern WI river systems. This beautiful walleye attached was caught and released today fishing in the deepest part of the river channel of the Rock River system in southern Wisconsin. Summer walleye fishing means deep water to catch them. Hot water temps and unusually high water only means one thing for me, fish deep. Low water and hot temps mean fishing springs, creeks inlets or any drain tubes with fresh water entering the water system to provide oxygen. I have learned this hot water pattern a few years back and have been enjoying the mother nature patterns for the last few years. Follow my posts and enjoy success by using nuckle ball jigs. Cya u on the water! Otherwise hope to see some of you at next weekend at the Free Youth Education Day as I will be there teaching kids how to catch pan fish and promoting fin-tech product! See attach for details.

Attachments:
    1. free.jpg

2. Jefff-Best-8-1-14.jpg

Gregg Pfeifer
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

High water late in the season is indeed a bonus even a few miles up the Bark River. I started off my day targeting a likely smallie spot a had one of those once in a lifetime catches. Seven casts in a row with my favorite crank hooked up with feisty smallmouth, missed the next cast though I did get one to swipe at it, then connected with my last but biggest fish in that spot. Farther down river I topped off my day with this delicious 19″ bonus.

Attachments:
    1. image4.jpg

bronzbak
    Participant
    Long way from home

Just saw on the news that Anchor Inn had a fire! They are saying it’s a total loss. Sure looks bad from the news footage. To bad for Joe and all the effected employees. Hopefully they can rebuild it! Just ate dinner there on Thursday night!

Gregg Pfeifer
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I still found smallies in my honey hole on the Bark. Fish were bigger than usual last night with a few over 15″. Unfortunately a toothy critter got my favorite Bomber square bill crank. Back at it today then no fishing for me until late in the month so I hope Ill be reading about your success stories.

Attachments:
    1. image11.jpg

2. image10.jpg

Brad Anderson
    Participant
    Minnesota

Jeff when you speak of catching eyes deep, how deep are you talking? 20 fow? 30? 40?

Gregg Pfeifer
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Dog days… Check out these puppies! Just a few of the bigger ones today on the Bark. 15, 16 & 17″ – best to date local smallies.

Attachments:
    1. image14.jpg

2. image13.jpg

3. image12.jpg

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

@ Brad, I’m fishing the Rock River in southern WI. Not to many spots over 12 foot so I’m talking 10 to 12 foot.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

It look a few weeks before I could get back out on the Bark but it was good to see I could still show my brother a few fishy spots.

Attachments:
    1. image7.jpg

2. image6.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.