how to adjust a choke cable on an ATV?

• Avatar of John Schultz John Schultz 
    Participant

Hoping somebody can help me figure out how to adjust the choke cable on my ATV. It is a plunger type on a Polaris. When I pull the choke all the way out, it goes back in about half way. When its cold, it won’t stay running unless I hold the choke plunger out until it warms up, which takes a while. I’m assuming it needs to be adjusted. I had some carb work done on it and it hasn’t been the same since I got it back. I would take it back in, but I’m only home on the weekends due to work, and the guy that fixed it isn’t open on weekends. If I can fix it myself, I can save the trouble of trying to get it back to him.

I know where the cable attaches to the carb, there is an adjustment nut and a jam nut. Which one is which and which way would you adjust it to get more length of pull in the cable? Don’t want to mess it up.

Thanks.

Participant

On my polaris Explorer 425, I had to adjust mine too. I think it’s just loosen jam nut and extend or take up slack on cable. Be careful not to go too far as it won’t idle down then…. I don’t think it’s a choke per say like on a lawnmower rather it’s an enrichment jet and the ‘choke’ lever just pulls a needle out of it to enrichen. Hope this helps

Participant

If it wont stay out, its real simple on a Honda, would guess the same on a polaris, Where you pull your choke out there is a rubberized cover at the base. Slide this up and there is a plastic nut to tighten the friction to keep the choke out. 10 second job.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

HP 541cf9f2a5d18 LIST