Best auger mounts for sled

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hi all,

I’m looking for suggestions for an auger mount to go on a snowmobile. Any suggestion on mounts that you’ve used and found to be functional will be greatly appreciated.

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

I talked with Dave Genz about his setup on his sled, He actually has a machine shop weld up some brackets that stick through the hood of his sled and the auger sits out front, didn’t get a close enough looks to see how it really worked. I thought it was a better setup than having it on a rack of some sort on the back , but it’s certainly more involved, but I think if you are really planning on riding some distance it’s better up front, I think the rear mount is a rougher ride.

Obviously not the perfect setup for everyone.

Sold my sled in hopes to get a different one for ice fishing, so I’ve yet to work it out….

huskyjerk
    Participant
    Swea City, Iowa

James

I am kind of in the same position. I have had several racks, where the auger was mounted to the back of the sled behind a ‘basket’. Simply put, it was just to much weight on the back of the sled. I would like to get mine mounted to the front (so it would cross over the hood) and obviously take the weight off the back. The only place to mount is going to be on the suspension arms, which is going to be challenging since they have to move with the terrain. I have seen the ones that the ‘Ice Team’ uses. I have tried to find better pictures of them, even emailed them asking ??’s, but got nothing. I am ging to try to work on a mount for mine(98 Cat) tomorrow. Every make of sled is going to require something different?? What kind of sled are you working with? I will post some pics, if things work out.

Thanks
    Marc

huskyjerk
    Participant
    Swea City, Iowa

Never thought about coming through the hood. That would definitely eliminate the problems with the suspension. Might be back to the drawing board

Thanks
    Marc

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James

I am kind of in the same position. I have had several racks, where the auger was mounted to the back of the sled behind a ‘basket’. Simply put, it was just to much weight on the back of the sled. I would like to get mine mounted to the front (so it would cross over the hood) and obviously take the weight off the back. The only place to mount is going to be on the suspension arms, which is going to be challenging since they have to move with the terrain. I have seen the ones that the ‘Ice Team’ uses. I have tried to find better pictures of them, even emailed them asking ??’s, but got nothing. I am ging to try to work on a mount for mine(98 Cat) tomorrow. Every make of sled is going to require something different?? What kind of sled are you working with? I will post some pics, if things work out.

Thanks
    Marc

As luck would have it… 1998 Artic Cat Pantera.

I like the idea of getting the auger mounts off of the suspension arms but I’m leery of bring brackets up through the hood as that would likely complicate the heck out of checking oil, etc.

Hmmmmm… I was hoping there was going to be an easy way. But when is anything ever easy?

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Best bet is to have someone custom make you a bracket to mount to your sled and use ATV type mounts to hold the auger to the custom made bracket.

dandorn
    Participant
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I thought I read that Scott uses the Fin Grips on his sleds.

He seems to be happy with his setup.

Castaway
    Participant
    Otsego,MN

Found this on http://www.trueblueicefishing.net/for/

thefishyspot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=504&start=0

Ive contemplated doing something like this for my sleds but with the increased weight on the suspension and bouncing around I gave up on it and just pull a tub behind the sled.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the ideas guys. Please keep ’em coming!

luke_haugland
    Participant
    Iowa City, Iowa

James- did you end up getting those sleds? I look forward to riding them soon! Hope the wiper bite is going when I get back to Iowa!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James- did you end up getting those sleds? I look forward to riding them soon! Hope the wiper bite is going when I get back to Iowa!

Yup, sure did. The deal was far too good to pass up.

And if that wiper bite gets rolling again you know I’ll come a runnin! Holler when you get back to the states. And congrats again on the nuptials.

chrossa
    Participant
    Arcadia, WI

Every year me and some friends go up to Canada ice fishing. And every year we always have a different set up for caring the ice auger.

This last year my buddy had a aluminum bracket made that attached to the front suspension arms. Sounds like a good idea right. Wrung. After the second day we took it off.
    The problem was the bracket didn’t let the suspension move freely. The sled would not tern worth a darn and the ride was very ruff.

I, on the other had made a bracket that went across the back of the sled mounted off the tunnel. I drive a 89 panther 440. The set up works grate. I used to gun rack holder to hold the auger and used two velcro holder to hold the power head. I made the rack out of lite steel square tubing.

As for how my sled handles this set up. It actually helps. The extra weight movies the center of gravity back on my sled. So it gives me better traction and it also helps my sled float in deep snow. The ride is a little ruff er, but after adjusting the suspension that old sled doesn’t ride to bad.

When we are out fishing the 3hp Jiffy goes on the rack and all the gear go in the saddle bags. And off to a good day a fishing we go.

I will try to post some pictures of my set up to show how it looks.

Jami Ritter
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

2 different thoughts on this….

If you wanted to mount it up front, couldn’t you have brackets fabricated that mounted to the sides of the belly pan? So on the outside of both sides of the belly pan you would have a piece of flat steel with bolts running through the pan and bolting to another piece of flat steel. Sandwiching the belly pan between the two. Then on the outside have a piece of round or flat stock welded or bolted to the outside piece running up to mount the auger on? This should allow you to open the hood without issues (with the auger removed) and won’t affect the ifs.

If you mounted it on the back you could just bolt it up into the rear suspension bolt or attach to the rear floor board?

Just some thoughts….

huskyjerk
    Participant
    Swea City, Iowa

Jami

I totally agree. I built a mount for mine today, and it was much more challenging than I first expected. The newer sleds are more plastic than anything. I was planning on doing exactly what you said, till I looked at my sled again!! I did come up with a pretty good mount (i think ) need a couple more pieces of steel to finish. I will post some pics tomorrow night when i finish. It makes it tough to help other people out since it seems that almost every make & model are different??

Thanks
    Marc

Jami Ritter
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

I hear ya, more plastic than ever. Knowing that James has an older sled, and my 98 has a pretty thick belly pan is what I was basing my logic (or lack there of) off.

Interesting to see what you came up with!

Jami

munchy71
    Participant
    Stuart, Iowa

Quote:

2 different thoughts on this….

If you wanted to mount it up front, couldn’t you have brackets fabricated that mounted to the sides of the belly pan? So on the outside of both sides of the belly pan you would have a piece of flat steel with bolts running through the pan and bolting to another piece of flat steel. Sandwiching the belly pan between the two. Then on the outside have a piece of round or flat stock welded or bolted to the outside piece running up to mount the auger on? This should allow you to open the hood without issues (with the auger removed) and won’t affect the ifs.

If you mounted it on the back you could just bolt it up into the rear suspension bolt or attach to the rear floor board?

Just some thoughts….

That’s roughly how I made/mounted mine. I was gonna post the pics, but they can already be found at the previously mentioned thread here

Mine are near the end of the thread.

-Munchy

munchy71
    Participant
    Stuart, Iowa

Here are some more recent pics of the finished rack

-Munchy

Jami Ritter
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Very nice

Jami

huskyjerk
    Participant
    Swea City, Iowa

Munchy

Looks pretty nice, and more important functional. Thought I was gonna have mine done tonight, but not the case. I picked up my sq. tubing, but I need to grind the seam out of the inside and I forgot the tool at work. Guess I will have to wait 1 more day.

Thanks
    Marc

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

I think Mr. Holst should show up at Garage Logic some night, and we will throw Dr. Sauger at it.
    That Mad Scientist and his evil assistant Nurse Zarbo would have that whipped together in two Bud’s.

Mike Klein
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

I have tried alot a things as of late and have fabricated a few things that work ok. It is the long trips I ride in canada and want some thing that holds up. I found buy a quick release chuck “30 bucks” and remove auger head from bit and put in sled has been the best for me. It is a cheap fix. The head i mount in a bracket off the bumper not to bounce in sled. it is a fast to attach as I move around alot. just a thought.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I ended up getting tired of looking for a good sled or ATV mount.

I just lay the auger on the top of my portable…strap it on with a bungy for safety…and go. I’ve carried two augers this way.

Cheap, easy and supports the weight of the whole auger.

Jami Ritter
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

I think Mr. Holst should show up at Garage Logic some night, and we will throw Dr. Sauger at it.
    That Mad Scientist and his evil assistant Nurse Zarbo would have that whipped together in two Bud’s.

2 buds…??? Z’s best ideas come after a 6’er and before a dozen.

Jami

Bob Bowman
    Participant
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

2 buds…??? Z’s best ideas come after a 6’er and before a dozen.

Jami

Good to see that time has not changed things with Danny. I know it would be a road trip for this kid, but I should make a Garage Logic road trip to see the rat in the cage

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Bring your silly neighbor along!

Bob Bowman
    Participant
    MN

Quote:

Bring your silly neighbor along!

With his velcro gloves

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Nah, we got plenty.

sauger
    Participant
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

Tuck,just wait and see what I came up with today!

And yes Bobby you should make it down for a night….It is a long way so maybe we can extend it for three or four day’s.I know you can handle it

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.