ATV Accessories for ice fishing

• yellowjacket
    Participant
    Byron, MN

Where is a good place to find accessories for an atv? I’m looking for specifically an ice auger holder/carrier for my front rack, and anything else that trips my trigger.

Anyone?

Bob Carlson
    Participant
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I bought a Mad Dog brand auger mount at Cabela’s. I think it was around $39

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I bought my auger mount at Gander.

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

I bought a Mad Dog brand auger mount at Cabela’s. I think it was around $39

and you like it? I may have to buy one….

troutsrus
    Participant
    Lytton Iowa

I built mine for about $2. If anyone is interested I will post a pic. It works great and comes off in a minute or 2.

starkj25
    Participant

i wouldnt mind seeing what that looks like. i hate chipping the paint off from the rack on my atv.

troutsrus
    Participant
    Lytton Iowa

Pics arent the best. A 2×8 and a couple short 2×6’s. A small plate with a hunk of carpet on the end. I built it in about 15 minutes after the new Strikemaster. It could be cleaned up and done a little nicer. But works graet and 2 bolts with wingnuts it comes off QUICK.

troutsrus
    Participant
    Lytton Iowa

another

troutsrus
    Participant
    Lytton Iowa

another pic

troutsrus
    Participant
    Lytton Iowa

My auger has ridden many miles on this rack…..

yellowjacket
    Participant
    Byron, MN

Looks good, sounds good…..help me out here, my auger came over on the mayflower…doesn’t have the double “D” handles, just like bike handles, come straight out…it’s and old Ardisam…..hmmmmm….I may be able to lay it on it’s side and clamp that way….hmmmmm

Steve Plantz
    Participant
    SE MN

I saw a gadget on TV yesterday that mounted on the back of a ATV or a Sled and held it in place while you drill the hole but I do not remember the name of it? Anyone else know what this is?

riveratt
    Participant
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I do a heck of a lot of ice fishing on my ATV and haven’t spent a dime on the fancy store bought stuff. Not that I don’t like that stuff, I’d just rather save the bucks for gas and minnows! What I use is much simpler and as effective IMO.

First off I have a Polaris Sportsman with the awesome composite racks and steel rack extenders. My auger (Jiffy Model 30) nestles into the rear rack with the power head to the left side, gas tank handle up. Simply rotate the auger until the unit is snug then rubber strap it in place. If scratches are a concern some simple rubber hose split lenghtwise easily slip over the rack extenders where the auger rests. I have traveled many miles like this, even left the auger on the rack in the truck. No problems.

On the rear extender I install an “S” hook from an old bungee cord. Open the end up enough to go around the metal rack (or extender) and then pinch it tight. Adjust the loose end to hold a pail handle and voila, instant and very secure bucket holder.

On my front rack I have, what else, a rack extender with bungee’s (heavy rubber ones) that will easily hold two more 5 gal buckets. More often than not it is just one more bucket and my locator up there. My minnows or snacks are in the extra pail and my locator next to that. Of course from there I have a hitch that I hook the portable to on the days it is cold.

In all it takes about 4 minutes to attach all the gear to my rig and less to take it off. Not counting the “S” hooks or bungees I have just over $7400.00 invested in my “hauler”. Oh, that’s another reason the fancy gear haulers are still at the store. Who can afford them after you get the ATV?

troutsrus
    Participant
    Lytton Iowa

Big D….. I know what you mean , I had a Jiffy that they drilled holes with in the Bible I think. I sold it and bought the Strikemaster. It is light and works at least as well. I had the old one mounted about the same , it had a handle bar too. I just built a little shelf that it sat on. I used an old aluminum plate that I had around. It looked nice. I wish I wouldnt have junked it , I think you could have used it like it was……..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.