What is the BEST 4-wheeler??

• JamesHoward
    Participant

Hi, I’ve owned dozens of 4-wheelers (Yamaha, Honda, Polaris etc.) The best for me was the Polaris Sportsman 500. It was superior. It would pull 1,500 lbs through the mud in 2wd (I rarely had to use 4wd) decent on fuel, the absolute best ride (under 50 mph, will do 67 mph but got to watch the side to side jumping from the rear suspension – this is where the Bombardier is better). I pulled 8,000lbs through the field regularly. The power is very good up to about 15 mph. Tires still had the knobbies on them when I sold it (front and rears, [8,000 hrs]). Oh yes it will sink in deep mud, but hey do you want to pull or not! I currently have an 800 Polaris dual exhaust, Don’t ask. I wish I still had my 500 Sportsman…However my 800 does sound like 1000 hp rumbling away, shakes the house pretty good but I pay $5.00 per mile for that little thrill… (that doesn’t include the gas of the purchase price!)

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

The best 4-wheeler? A paid off one!

It is all personal preference. My last two were Arctic Cats. In 2003-2004 Arctic Cat was the only machine with a true 12″ of ground clearance.

I plowed my grandpa’s place last year using his Honda Foreman. I was not impressed with the controls and the power compared to the Arctic Cats. Not impressed at all. I personally would not go Honda for myself.

396ranger
    Participant
    Cottage Grove MN

I’ve had Hondas and they have treated me great. Currently I own 2 rincons the only bad thing is that they are rusty from hauling them on a flat bed trailer for ice fishing . As far as reliability they are great. I personally like new but buy what you can afford.

mike-west
    Participant
    Amery, WI

IMHO, With the Advancements Arctic Cat has made, they would get my vote and my money if I was in the market for one.
    I personally had a bad, bad experience with a Polaris. Probabaly one of those made on a Monday or Friday things

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Hard to beat a Brute 750 for fun factor. The power to weight ratio is excellent.

Mnfisher2015
    Milaca, MN

I love my cat! Fires right up in cold weather with the efi and just a great machine!

gandercommander
    Participant

If money is no issue can am is the top dog so to speak the next choice down would be a Yamaha grizzly I have that love it has a lot of power smooth ride very dependable durable and best quad out there for the budget Hondas are okay but you plan on trail riding there’s no forgiveness in the suspension because its a straight axle drive not belt driven so you mess your shaft up on your Honda it will cost more than just buying a belt yamaha are very easy machines to work on I’ve worked on a lot and by far this has been the easiest personally I’d go with can am yami or Honda stay clear from Polaris they are complete junk

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

CanAm’s are nice, but pricey and have a lot of electronic/mechanical connections that can go bad. I have a Grizzly 700 and the reason I chose it over other brands is because they’ve basically had the same model Grizzly 700 for the last 6-8 years because nothing needed to be changed, it’s a super stable platform that seems pretty bulletproof. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

I’d like to get one of the ranger types(two seater) this fall. Plowing snow up north will be a big factor. Are they pretty good for plowing? What about deep snow if I haven’t been up in awhile? The plow blades don’t seem too high, but I suppose a couple passes.

I would appreciate any feedback!

to_setter
    Participant
    Stone Lake, WI

I’d like to get one of the ranger types(two seater) this fall. Plowing snow up north will be a big factor. Are they pretty good for plowing? What about deep snow if I haven’t been up in awhile? The plow blades don’t seem too high, but I suppose a couple passes.

I’ve got some feedback for you Scott. Whatever you get, make sure to get a trailer too so you can haul that thing over to my folks and plow out there driveway when I want to come up ice fishing and they’re in Arizona for the winter:)….

Tim Reszler
    Participant
    Kenosha

Most newer atv’s are fuel injected v.s. Carburation. If it was me I would buy fuel injection again. Sounds to me like you are looking for more of a work horse then a trail machine. Look at the honda rancher 420. Has a solid rear axle and lots of power. I have a 2012 rancher 420. Great for hunting and fishing and also pushes a 60″ blade snow plowing without and lack of power issues. Love that machine.

pale ryder
    Participant
    NULL

I have a 2008 Honda Rincon that I really like Run great smooth ride and plenty of power.
    As to reliability there are two members of the Rincon Riders forum who have over 30,000 miles on their Rincons, with no major repairs.

jonboy
    Participant
    Wausau, WI

Ditto!

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>belletaine wrote:</div>

I’ve got some feedback for you Scott. Whatever you get, make sure to get a trailer too so you can haul that thing over to my folks and plow out there driveway when I want to come up ice fishing and they’re in Arizona for the winter:)….

I have the trailer Todd! I’m sure something could be worked out! I’d like to have one of those rangers with tracks on it.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.