Ice out Walleyes on the Wisconsin River

• Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

After another long Wisconsin winter, most walleye guys are more than a little bit anxious to get the boat out on the water. Rivers will generally become ice free long before natural lakes and reservoirs. Where I live in south central Wisconsin, come late February or early March, the running waters of the Wisconsin River will lose enough of its icy cover to permit hardy anglers to launch a boat and begin fishing for spring run walleyes & saugers.

How I target walleyes and/or saugers at this time of the year can and does vary from year to year. Most of that is based on the conditions of the river when ice out actually occurs. High water conditions are definitely going to see me using completely different tactics than low water conditions.

Easy pickings at ice out:

On an average year, the ice will open up enough for us to start fishing in late February to early March. Under normal river levels & flow rates, the first place to check for some fairly consistent action is the deepest water available. We generally are not going to see a lot of big fish at this time but that doesn’t mean you won’t catch a trophy either. Normally, what we see most of in the deep holes are plenty of short fish with some decent keepers mixed in and the occasional upper slot size fish.

Most of these fish are males with the occasional “hen” mixed in here and there. There are certain times of the year where I will ignore small to keeper size fish just so that I can have a crack at a big girl. This isn’t one of those times. I want my line stretched and I want to take home enough fish for a fish fry. After a long winter of “not” fishing from a boat, getting my line stretched and consistent action rank pretty high on my fun scale.

Quite frankly, this kind of fishing doesn’t require a ton of skill. Minnow rigs, whether delivered via a 3-way or sliding lindy style sinker work well. Anchoring above the hole or slipping the current downstream while staying vertical works also. Slowly back trolling upstream will also put fish in the boat.

A bare jig tipped with a minnow will many times work just as well. Same goes for a ringworm, paddle tail, twister tail or a 4” moxi from B’Fish’N Tackle. I usually start out with a jig/plastic combo and see what the fish want. Many times, that jig & plastic or some variation of it, never comes off.

Unfortunately, there aren’t many other options for fishermen at this time of the year. Most lakes are not only still covered by ice, but walleye fishing season is closed on inland lakes until the first Saturday in May. So the rivers really are essentially the only open water option, which means we usually have plenty of company. And that kind of pressure can turn the bite from fairly easy to pretty tough after the first couple of weeks. The rivers around these parts are not big and with more than a hundred boats per weekend day running up and down the river, bouncing jigs, minnows & plastics thru every hole, it tends to have a very negative effect on these fish in a relatively short time. The easy pickings of dumb fish that haven’t seen a fishermen’s bait in several months is usually over by early March and most years, it’s certainly over by the middle of March.

Catching better fish between ice out and spawning time:

After the first couple of weeks, we’re now fishing for “educated” walleyes & saugers. These are the fish that didn’t get caught during the early rush of anglers and the newer, migrating fish that are just arriving from down river. These fish will continue to filter in here and there along with a big push by the larger females just before spawn.

By mid-March, the only reason I might still be fishing in the deeper, middle of the river holes is if the flow is really low. Under very low water conditions, the fish will generally not feel the urge to move up river. High water has the opposite effect causing more fish to move up and sooner than they may have otherwise.

Under low water conditions at this time of the year, I do tend to find myself targeting middle of the river spots more than the edges. I don’t usually fish the deepest holes anymore though and the only reason I would still be using a plain minnow rig is if the bite was especially tough.

Under low water conditions, the tactic that has been the most consistent for me has been dragging jig & plastics. I prefer either a 4” ringworm or a 4” moxi from B’Fish’N Tackle.com but there are times when the fish seem to want a paddle tail instead.

Water depth could be anywhere from 8’ to 20’ deep. The one thing I’m really looking for under low water conditions is moving water. Back eddies are almost non-existent under these conditions so if you want to fish in current, the middle of the river is usually your best option.

Dragging downstream:

Dragging downstream is my favorite way to go but here again, it’s best to see whether the fish prefer dragging upstream or downstream. Check both ways and give them what they want.

For downstream dragging in 10-15’ of water, I usually find myself using a 1/8oz Precision H20 jig if it’s not to snaggy. Jig eating rocks and other snags will quickly have me tying on a Draggin Jig instead. These jigs do a great job of sliding thru the rocks, wood and old discarded line. And although they may cost more up front than a regular jig, under snaggy conditions, they easily pay for themselves in a hurry.

My typical downstream run has me making a short to medium cast behind the boat and using the bow mount electric motor to pull the boat downstream at about .5mph. Adjust the amount of line you have out behind the boat so that the jig isn’t constantly in contact with the bottom. I want my jig to suspend a few inches off the bottom from time to time, then fall back and hit the bottom again before lifting off once again. The more you do it, the better you will get at this.

That .5mph number is not a hard and fast rule. What’s really important is what you’re feeling at the business end of your line. Speed is important but it’s not the primary factor here. Not that you want to go flying down river either but if it feels right and you find yourself going .7mph plus your getting bit, don’t stop or slow down just to hit some imaginary magic number.

The objective is to bring together and balance all the factors necessary for the dragging technique to work its magic. Boat speed, jig weight, current, depth, length of line behind the boat, line diameter & the lift created by it are all factors that can affect how far off the bottom you’re jig ends up on the dragging run. Get it right and your day on the water has a chance to be something special. Get it wrong and you can be right on top of fish and never know it.

Hits can be quite aggressive, to the point where you had better be hanging onto your rod. Hits can also be little more than the classic “tick” of the line. The hard hitters are easy to catch. It’s a little harder learning to set the hook when you sense that classic “tick” of the line but again, with practice setting the hook does become second nature. Regardless of how the hit feels, by all means set that hook the second you feel the bite. Fish that bite while dragging a jig & plastic tend to get the bait well into their mouth and there is no need to hesitate.

Dragging upstream:

Dragging upstream will usually require a jig roughly twice as heavy as what it takes to go downstream. Here again, let the conditions of the situation your fishing dictate how heavy your jig is. When going upstream, the combination of current, speed and jig weight must come together in a way that allows you to keep that jig & plastic combo within a foot or so of the bottom. The only way of knowing if the jig is close enough to the bottom is to let your rod fall back several feet and watch your line. You should be able to see some slack in your line when the jig hits the bottom. If your line never goes slack, it means your jig is too far off the bottom. In this case you need to let out more line, tie on a heavier jig or you need to slow down.

Dragging upstream usually requires you to move the boat considerably slower than downstream. GPS speed going upstream is usually around .2 to .3mph but can vary depending on current, jig weight, amount of line behind the boat, depth of water, wind and how aggressive the fish are. Dragging upstream takes more practice to get good at in my opinion so if you’re just starting, you may want to try perfecting downstream dragging first.

One thing I love to do when dragging upstream is to zig-zag. Another words, don’t pick a line that takes you straight upstream. Intentionally slide cross current as you move up. This works going downstream as well but I’ve had more luck zig-zagging on the upstream runs.

High Water:

Under high water conditions, my favorite technique is to anchor on the edge of a current eddy and fan cast jig & plastics. I usually have at least two different rods rigged and ready to go with different size jigs on them. One for casting to the deeper faster water and another for the shallower, slower back eddy current along the shoreline.

When casting plastics latterly across the current, my goal is to have the current wash the jig across the bottom of the river. If the jig is too heavy, it will sit on or get hung up on the bottom. To lite of a jig and it may never reach the bottom. I like my jig to occasionally get hung up but not constantly. For the most part, the current against my line should cause the jig to gently bounce over the rocks without constantly getting hung up.

Casting upstream and retrieving with the current is kind of tricky but always worth doing simply because you just never know where the fish will be laying for sure. Here you will need to retrieve line at a rate approximately equal to the current in order to keep the jig from getting hung up on the bottom. Quite often, the upstream cast is done parallel to the current seam. Make sure you cast to both sides of the current seam. The current seam is one of the most common spots to find active fish.

Regardless of which side of the current seam you jig is, take up line at a rate which will keep slack out of your line but not so fast as to lift your jig well off the bottom. By doing this, you will be able to feel the classic walleye “tick”, which of course means you need to set the hook asap! Be sure to watch you line closely. Some people are better at detecting hits by watching the line and some by their sense of feel.

Sounds tricky but with practice, it’s really not that bad. The quickest way to learn how to do this properly, is to fish with someone who is good at it. Watching another person in the boat pull in walleye after walleye has a way of making the other person learn faster. Much faster in most cases!

I always make a few cast downstream at an angle that will land my jig well out into the faster, deeper water. You will need to wait while your jig sinks and travels downstream even further before beginning the retrieve. Once your line becomes tight, if your jig weight is right it will be either on or very close to the bottom and hopefully, right alongside the current seam. Now you can work that jig slowly back to the boat. Typically I will pump it forward a foot or two, stop with my rod pointing at about 11 o’clock and hesitate until I feel the jig hit bottom again. Many times it’s slack in the line that tells me the jig is now once again on the bottom. Hold for another ten seconds or so, then repeat. Continue the retrieve until your close enough to the boat that it’s no longer possible to keep the jig on the bottom.

Don’t be lazy – change your bait!

The biggest single reason why more people don’t catch more fish is they get lazy. Good fishermen don’t get lazy. When the fish don’t bite they change things. They change locations. They change tactics. And most of all, they constantly change the plastics on the back end of their jigs. They never tire of retying jigs that don’t work on the end of their line. If you were to look at their dash, you will see a huge pile of jigs tipped with a wide variety of ringworms, paddle tails, moxi’s as well as hair jigs and perhaps blade baits. They just never quit and because of that, sooner or later, they find what the fish want on that particular day.

In the end, it’s all worth it. Especially when you come back to the boat landing and repeatedly hear how tough the fishing was and you just had a banner day. Some will say it’s luck but more often than not, you create your own luck!

Joel "Boog" Ballweg

Ballweg’s Guide Service, LLC

http://www.lakewisconsinfishing.com/"> http://www.lakewisconsinfishing.com/

ronparrish311
    Participant
    Fremont, WI

Very good article. This is my first spring on the Wisconsin (Stevens Point). This is also my first year that I am going to be fishing plastics so this article helped me tremendously.

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

That’s good to hear!

Be sure to let us know how its going for you up in Fremont. That’s an area I’ve yet to visit. Someday though….

prodrive-al
    Participant
    Elkhorn, WI

I’d be interested in hearing more about your high water techniques.. Like where do you anchor at, just above the seam or try to get on top of it, stay outside of it or??? You say fancasting, do you throw to shore with a really light jig and work it out or use a heavier jig and keep it in current? I really struggle with high water or winds and have never been able to figure out how to catch fish anchored… Also do you just use plain jig and plastic or minnow or do you use lindy rigs or ??? Any insight is appreciated.

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Al,

Good questions!

Every eddy or current seam is a bit different simply because they are not all created the same. Some eddies are created by a bend in the river while others may be created by a narrowed down area of the shorelines. Others might be created by a large obstruction on the bottom of the river.
    Because very few eddies are the same, finding the sweet spot to anchor on is going to take some trial and error. Especially when your first start. Once you get some experience, finding the best spot to anchor and cast from does get easier.

Anchoring right on the current seam itself is difficult if not impossible simple because your boat will not stay put.
    I often find myself anchored either just inside or just outside the current seam. For clarification, the inside edge has current going back upstream and the outside has current going downstream in all rivers. (as I see it anyway)
    In many cases, how strong the main current is will determine which side of the seam you can anchor on.
    I don’t usually find myself anchored right at the head of a back eddie as this would often put me right on top of an area where I expect to catch fish from. A better location in a typical back eddie would be just inside the current seam and about a cast length downstream of the head of the back eddie. From this position, I will most often have the boat facing downstream with an anchor out on the front and the back in order to hold position.

From this position, I can cast small jigs to the shoreline and larger ones out into the main current. The best area for casting and catching fish though, is probably going to be near the head of the back eddie, and somewhere along the edge of the current seam itself. If you’ve never cast along a current seam before, it can be a little difficult to figure out on your own. It does help quite a bit to go with someone who has experience so that you can see first hand how to do it.

Regardless of where I’m casting, I don’t want my jig to be dragging on the bottom. That’s a recipe for lots of snags and not a lot of fish. I really want the current to be able move my jig along, just above the bottom with the occasional bump on the bottom.
    Hard to explain and it does require a sense of feel that you can only aquire by getting out there and practicing.

As for what I use, 90% of the time, I have a jig & plastic tied on the end of my line. The other 10% is split up between a jig & minnow, a split shot & minnow or a barrel sinker & a minnow.

My favorite plastics are 4″ ringworms, Moxi’s and/or 3-1/2″ paddle tails. I sometimes like to tip the jig/paddle tail combo’s with a minnow but the other two I will usually just use the jig & plastic.

Casting from an anchored position takes practice. You not only need to learn where the best spot to anchor is, but you also need to learn how to cast from that platform. And because of the differing currents, where you cast to from that platform, will make a big difference as to the size of the jig you use and how you retrieve it back to the boat.

I hope that helps. It is a technique that can pay off in a big way when you get it right.

prodrive-al
    Participant
    Elkhorn, WI

Thanks for the info, that’s exactly what I was asking about. I’ve tried before but always was trying to anchor out in the current and cast across the seam… All the rivers around here are open now, of course I’m working 7 days a week now so it’ll be a couple weeks before I can give it a try… Thanks again.

tom_gursky
    Participant
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Good read and information Joe!
    My experiences would have me in full agreement with your techniques. Dragging has saved the day more than once when the early season cold water temps have them unaggressive.

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

Awesome read packed with a ton of great info Joel. I know I learned a ton also the day we spent in the boat with you.
    Keep on sharing the good stuff Sir

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Thanks Tom & Bret.

One thing I left out in my article was blade baits.
    I’m still fairly new at casting blades, but after my experience with them on the Menominee River last spring, I intend to keep a rod rigged and ready to use on every spot in the future. They’ve earned a place in the starting line up as far as I’m concerned. Just a matter of getting better at it and that can only be done with time on the water.

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Great article Joel. Think Ill have to go put some of that to use this afternoon. It is that time of year.

jeff-patrick
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

In-Depth Outdoors Article, loved it, thanks for sharing Joel.

pool13_jeff
    Participant
    NW, IL

Excellent article Joel!

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Thanks guys!

grey-beard
    Participant
    McFarland, Wisconsin

Very nicely written. I’ll be sure to tell those that don’t have a lot of experience fishing spring conditions to read this before they hit the water.

Michael

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.