Anyone using a 597 HD Ice?

• Rope
    Kansas

Been seeing them around, but not to use. Have you had a chance to run one? Thanks.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I run one off my trolling motor and use it on the ice as well. I love it! Flasher mode works great, GPS. For me it was very economical because it gets used year round.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I bought the 688CI, ran the GPS with a Lakemaster chip, have yet to give the transducer a try.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Yes, took mine off the boat last fall and got it set up for the ice. Cabelas sells a tray that works well, bought the ice ducer, and a softcase. Use it for mapping and as a back up flasher. Works well and doesn’t interfere with a vexilar from my experience.

Rope
    Kansas

Thanks for the info guys.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Here’s my bird all dressed up and ready to hit the ice

Attachments:
    1. image37.jpg

jepiking

retired my old fl8 after many years .. very happy with the 597 hd..bought power cord + mounting base.. 3in. by 4 in.plywood..attach in old holes of fl8 case.. mount 597..year around use..from boat to case.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

What’s the ballpark cost to convert from boat to ice?

Mine is a 597ci hd di model that’s mounted in my boat.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

FYI, the XI 9 20 Ice Transducer doesn’t work as well as many would like with DI models. I tried it with my 788 HD DI and I just wasn’t sold. Has something to do with the DI software. The conversion and Ice Transducer work awesome with non-DI units.

I still have my 788 HD DI set up for ice so I can use the GPS.

schoff
    S.E., SD

I tried using mine last night, so I had a backup unit for my wife, and the depth readout would not stop jumping around and read anywhere from 500+ feet to 14 feet. We were in 8 ft of water and I even tried it with no other finders turned on and it still did not take care of the issue, has anyone had this problem or know what I could do to change it? The sonar worked and I did mark fish and my lure just an issue with the depth and the bottom jumping up and down.

Thanks!!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Not sure what would cause that. I use one and it’s worked very well for me. Maybe something obscure in the settings?

schoff
    S.E., SD

I am not sure about the settings, I reset to default then turned ice fishing mode on and shut off the simulator mode? I did notice there is an upgrade that I have not done yet so I will try that and see if it fixes the issue. I have had it in a ice pack last year and it worked fine but I have since sold it and purchased a new ice ducer this winter since my wife has now shown intrest in ice fishing, wondering if I got a bad transducer possibly?

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

If it’s a di unit you will have to make sure your software is up to date.

schoff
    S.E., SD

It is not the DI and I have now done the latest update, hopefully I can get out this weekend and give it a try again…..

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I run the 788hd on ice, pretty much my gps as I prefer to use my marcum for fishing

schoff
    S.E., SD

Seems like it is working just fine now got to get out for a couple hours on Sunday and worked like a charm.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.