Any catfishing guys and gals doing any good?

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Anyone doing any good? Whats the bite and water like where your fishing. Any night fishermen out there having a good bite.

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

Very very tough right now. I could go on for hours.. they are still not aggressively feeding with the water temps looming between 72-74. Could be due to the spawn as well. Caught a 15#er with a huge gash and what appears to be bite marks in it from a bigger male. I have yet to hook into one this year that has felt like the true Flathead bite. They simply aren’t as active as they have been at this time previous years. High water? Temps? Later spawn?

Should start picking up here soon.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Going out here around 7 and checking poles, I expect a few fish and hoping for a good hookup out of 10 poles. I think things will be good, later.

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

Going out here around 7 and checking poles, I expect a few fish and hoping for a good hookup out of 10 poles. I think things will be good, later.

Good luck. Lmk if you get any and what worked for ya. Channels are biting great right now on crawlers.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

On P-4 the channels are biting good on everything.

We’ve been picking up numbers of small flats on bullies and like Evan said, they bite more like a walleye then a butt kicking flathead.

I had on solid 12″ sucker out on Saturday night, the rest were 5 inch bullheads. Within 10 minutes the sucker was slammed like a flathead should. Came in at 19 pounds.

75 degrees. I’m expecting this weekend to pick up a little more with the warming water that’s dropping.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nothing for us Saturday night on pool 3. Still a very nice night to be out. Got home at 3am. Not sure if this walleye guy is cut out for the hours you catfish guys keep.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

And that’s why I don’t wear a watch any longer. )

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Best year for size, its kind of a hit or miss though. Too far north now for flats, but biting on everything. Big ones off cut sucker, bullhead, and worms. Still have my spot more south I haven’t got to yet that I feel is flatty. Been saving it up all year and its getting to be that time……

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Been getting a few on our poles with shrimp. The store ran out of boxes of bait shrimp so I bought a pound of 100 too 150 size deveined and cooked shrimp, they work but I don’t think as good as bait shrimp, their usually shrimp that have no table value anymore. At $6 a pound I figured about a nickle apiece and thats not bad considering nightcrawlers are about 30 cents a piece. We’ve been up and down on the bite and checked our poles last night out of 10 poles we had 10 misses, no fish at all which is very rare. Going again in a couple days after the creek stabilizes and set out our poles again. The fish we have been getting are between 2 and 6 pounds and thats about the usual for what we catch.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

And that’s why I don’t wear a watch any longer. )

You dont know how to tell time anyways ! Everything is always tomorrow with you ;-)

Alvy C
    Minnesota

A lot of success has been coming out of the Zumbro when the high waters were flowing. My buddies and I use Shrimp (unprocessed and untreated from HyVee) $6 bucks a pound. I like that best because they carry and have that uric seafood like stench to them. I didn’t want to use liver because it would disappear (in fast waters) and get eaten easily by sheep heads and ect.

On the Zumbro dead Fathead Minnows work well too. Typically I catch fish there late around 9PM.

When fishing the Mississippi, again with shrimp, I have really, really good success around 3-6 AM. The bite is non stop. Some times it gets a little bit hard to manage two pole, just a little. Don’t go far from shore as from experience I have noticed them to come close to land during those hours. (: -Night Fishing

Hope my tips help.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Shrimp is great… although…

I normally leave it sit in the sun for a day before using it and then my customers have a hard time when I’m baiting their hook.

We put some big channels in the boat using shrimp.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Maybe your bait is too small! I saw this picture taken in South America…….it looks like something Brian would use to catch that really big Catfish just below the Red Wing Dam!

Attachments:
    1. image39.jpg

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ed that crawler would break 20 lb. test, you’d probably have to have 4 lbs of lead just to keep it in one place, forget bobber fishing, well maybe channel markers…

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Maybe your bait is too small! I saw this picture taken in South America…….it looks like something Brian would use to catch that really big Catfish just below the Red Wing Dam!

You sure that’s his bait?, everything grows big down south….. :0

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I am going to sneak ahead of Steve D tonight. That one shaker he has on the board is well a shaker.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

So tell me a fish story! I’ve got to go check the KOTC leaderboard to see if you got an entry or not.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

I’m not talking Texas here! In Texas, this would be considered a red worm……..like for sunfish!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

No the fish gods didn’t smile upon me. I was 1 for 4. It wasn’t a tournament fish 28. I tried to send you a pm but don’t know if it worked. I just might go back tonight.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Kevin – Got your PM – LMAO! You keep trying – you might get another fish before the lake freezes up. I’ll be looking for you in the rear view mirror.

riverruns
    Inactive

Lake Wissota was much better years ago. The pounding of the cats has taken its toll on the lake. I’ve fished the tournament in the past and its fun. Being a catch and kill 20 fish limit per boat takes its toll. Haven’t fished it in years because of that. Also most people don’t want to deal with the fish after being out all night so the fish go to waste.
    Shawn

riverruns
    Inactive

Way to go on first place! That is a nice fish.
    Shawn

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.