Another good one passes on…

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The day I’d been dreading for years arrived last week when I couldn’t see my buddy, Floyd, suffer any longer. He was diagnosed in April with osteosarcoma, which is a bone cancer. A slew of painkillers kept him comfortable and active till now, and he put up a valiant fight, but the tumor had grown so large, and he was so uncomfortable, that we knew his time had come.

I know everyone thinks their dog is the best, but Floyd turned out to me better than I could have ever hoped for. He worked as a therapy dog for about 5 years, cheering folks up at hospitals. He blazed through AKC Rally competitions, sitting atop the national rankings for Great Danes in 2010. He was just a great dog all around, and he will be missed greatly by a lot of people, but no more so that by my wife and myself.

So, while he had mostly lost interest in food recently, he devoured ribeyes and ice cream cones that we gave him on Thursday and Friday. Friday sucked big time. He was my first dog, so this was my first time going through this. It was about as tough as I imagined it would be, but in my heart, I know that he’s better off now, so it was what needed to me done.

So, here’s to Floyd! The biggest and the best. You were a once-in-a-lifetime dog, and we’ll reunite when I take a dirt nap.

Northwind Flava Floyd RE TD
    3/28/2008 – 7/11/2014

Attachments:
    1. Floyd-Ice-Cream.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Here’s the tumor he’d been fighting. F-ing cancer. (

Attachments:
    1. Tumor.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Here’s to celebrating Floyd who brought joy to many people. He lived a short life, but a good life. And here’s to you Ryan for making his life a full one.

Rest in Peace Floyd. The In-Depth dog park in the sky gained another good one.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

To Floyd.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I feel for you, I went through it in march. cancer was the culprit also. 11 year old chessey, lived on the lake her whole life, was wet everyday the lake had open water. this was my third, and it doesn’t get any easier. what I can tell you is think back and remember all the good things that the dog brought to all the many people that he came into contact with.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Here’s to big Floyd for giving a great couple a great companion!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Enjoyed reading about Floyd, sounded like a perfect dog. Cancer took my fav. Chocolate Lab, it’s a terrible thing to watch them suffer, knowing that they are comfortable eases your pain somewhat, memories are what will stick with you for ever. RIP Floyd

tso
    Coon Rapids,MN

When the body that lived at your single will,
    With its whimper of welcome is stilled (how still)
    When the spirit that answered your every mood
    Is gone-where ever it goes-for good
    You will discover how much you care,
    And will give your heart to Dog to tear.

Rudyard Kipling
    “The Power of the Dog”

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

My condolences.
    RIP Floyd!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Sorry for your loss. Based on past posts, he sounded like a cool dog.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

The phrase, a man’s best friend doesn’t do it justice…They are WAY more than a best friend.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Ryan and family,

Sorry for your loss. I have very much enjoyed following Floyd’s life in the Dog House forum. He truly was one of a kind! He will be missed by many….

-J.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

So sorry for your families loss Ryan. Dogs are just so special in a family. You know he is better off but that doesn’t make it any easier. RIP Floyd.

Terry Heese

Sorry for your loss, tuff thing to deal with.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

RIP Floyd

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Terrible. I feel like we all knew Floyd, he was quite the character.

fish4all
    South Metro

Sorry for your loss Ryan and family. Like Dave said, it felt like we knew him. With his run in’s with wildlife in the yard, to you talking about his care giving. It’s never easy but rest at ease knowing that he’s running through that large field in the sky, chasing rabbits.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Ryan and family,

Sorry for your loss. I have very much enjoyed following Floyd’s life in the Dog House forum. He truly was one of a kind! He will be missed by many….

-J.

X2! I’ll miss all your posts in the Dog House about Floyd. RIP Floyd.

Any thoughts of adding another 4 legged furry friend in the future?

Pete

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Any thoughts of adding another 4 legged furry friend in the future?

Someday, for sure, but not in the near future. We’ve got an almost 3-year old and a 7-month old, and between the two of them, I could never devote the time I’d need to to training a pup correctly. Plus, it’ll take a while to heal.

fishinfool
    mn

When I took my buddy in to end his pain and suffering, it was like he knew he was going to be pain free that day, He always hated going to the vet and always knew he was going there. On this day, he was happy to go and happy to walk in the front door. I am convinced he knew we were doing what was best for him. I’m sure yours knew the same.

Sharon
    Dakota County, MN

Ryan, I’m so sorry to hear of Floyd’s passing. I was just talking about Floyd the other day, about how big he was and he made me smile. He will be missed by many – even some who didn’t get a chance to meet him.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Just pulled some pics off the camera. Here’s the good ole boy getting ready to enjoy his ribeye. )

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6650.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That’s awesome. I am not sure who was luckier (to have been friends), you or Floyd. I suspect it was mutually inclusive.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Ralph:

So sorry to hear about Floyd!!! Dirt Naps and the Rainbow Bridge… RIP Floyd!!!

Mark

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Sorry for your loss Ralph, my yellow lab Mattie was recently put down as well with the same thing Floyd had, bone cancer. She had a tumor equally as big and hobbled around on 3 legs for a while before she suffered long enough. Very tough thing to do!

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

Sorry for your loss!! RIP Floyd!!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.