Amusing thought

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Started a separate thread so as not to hijacks BK’s thread on life jackets.

Does anybody else find it amusing the state requires you (under penalty) to pick weeds off your trailer but not to wear a device that could save your life? I think kids are required to wear life jackets…..does anybody know how old until they don’t have to anymore?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Not wearing a life jacket is a personal decision that only affects the individual whereas spreading AIS affects others. That’s how I see it. I don’t like laws that dictate how I conduct myself for myself. I don’t have to wear a preserver. I don’t have to wear a helmet. Etc.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Federal, MN State or WI State are you interested in knowing. They are different.

WI law does not require a toddler (or anyone) to wear a pfd.

MN law requires life jacket to be worn by children less than 10 years of age when aboard watercraft in Minnesota when the craft is under way (not tied up at a dock or permanent mooring).

Federal Law (Mississippi, St Croix and such)
    In states where no children’s life jacket law is in place, a U.S. Coast Guard interim rule requires children under 13 on moving boats to wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket that fits.

This rule does not change or supersede the existing law in states which have life jacket laws, it only applies to states that have no laws. Please see the list below for the latest laws in your state.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

What I find amusing is the US Coast Guard requires all “six pack” operators to have a Type I PFD on board for all passengers.

You know, the big orange ones that no one (including me) would wear unless I had a few minutes notification that I was going to get wet.

When I proposed a rule change that would allow the Captain to choose between the Type I’s on board or having all WEAR at Type V inflatable, it was denied. Reasoning? “There isn’t enough deaths to require a change.” <-

Every time a notice comes out from a County, State or Federal agency, they remind us to WEAR a PFD.

I can’t make this chit up!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

No comment on the AIS laws….

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Not wearing a life jacket is a personal decision that only affects the individual.

I would bet all the people trying to find your body at 3 in the morning would disagree with that statement.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>
    Not wearing a life jacket is a personal decision that only affects the individual.

I would bet all the people trying to find your body at 3 in the morning would disagree with that statement.

It also gave them a job looking for his dead body in which they chose of their own free will?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

That might be a bummer but not worth giving up more personal freedoms. In my opinion.

jerry b
    western WI

Not to mention the ever present throwable flotation device- – – I fish alone, who’s gonna throw it to me? Surely not the pup, she’s a retriever ) jerr

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.