AIS Update – Come on people!

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Seriously? That many violations? What is wrong with people.

It would be nice if they would break it down between pleasure boaters and fisherman. I find it hard to believe there are that many lame brained fishermen out there.

DNR NEWS — FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE July 10, 2014

DNR: Too many boaters not following aquatic invasive species laws
    Violation rate too high, ramped up enforcement July 11-13 weekend

This summer, the Department of Natural Resources is finding too many boaters and other water users taking unacceptable and illegal risks by transporting aquatic invasive species (AIS).

So far this season, watercraft inspectors have found more than 1,300 boaters at public water accesses with aquatic plants, invasive animals or water in or on their boats and equipment. If not stopped, these boaters could have infested other lakes.

In addition, DNR conservation officers have issued 169 citations and 375 warning tickets to boaters for AIS violations at enforcement check stations and public accesses. Fines range from $100 to $500.

“Far too many people are still not following the law,” said Greg Salo, DNR central region enforcement manager. “Some of these laws have been on the books for more than 15 years and yet we’re still seeing a 26 percent violation rate at enforcement check stations. That’s unacceptable. Violators should know better by now.”

During the weekend of July 11-13, the DNR will make an extra push to enforce the law. Anglers and boaters can expect watercraft inspectors and stepped up patrols. DNR conservation officers will be checking boats and equipment to make sure everyone is following Minnesota’s AIS laws.

Minnesota currently has 175 water bodies infested with zebra mussels.

“Every new infestation is extremely serious,” said Ann Pierce, DNR section manager for Ecological and Water Resources. “This means that it’s important for people to take responsibility, follow the laws, and protect the remaining more than 10,000 Minnesota waters. It’s still well worth the effort to protect the uncontaminated water bodies.”

In Minnesota is it illegal to:

Transport watercraft without the drain plug removed.
    Arrive at lake access with drain plug in place.
    Transport aquatic plants, zebra mussels, or other prohibited species, whether dead or alive.
    Launch watercraft with prohibited species attached.
    Transport water from Minnesota lakes or rivers.
    Release live bait into the water.
    All DNR-trained watercraft inspectors stationed around the state are authorized to help ensure boats and trailers are clean and free of AIS before entering or leaving a lake, river or other body of water. Whether they work for the DNR, or for a county or other local unit of government, inspectors are there to help make sure boaters are not in violation of AIS laws and protect our lakes and rivers.

The DNR has 23 decontamination units at various bodies of water in Minnesota. The agency concentrates inspectors and decontamination efforts at high-use bodies of water that are currently infested with AIS.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What I find odd is that boating traffic seems to be down.
    I know I’m only seeing a small slice of the pie from my vantage point but there’s a number of areas that are seeing less traffic/customers.

redneck
    Rosemount

What is wrong with people.

I don’t think it is what is wrong with people—I think it is what is wrong with the DNR!!! They state many violations are for having the plug in while going down the road—–explain to me how that is spreading or going to spread AIS. The problem is people have a healthy dose of common sense and see that it doesn’t make sense and the DNR doesn’t. Step back and use commons sense and look at the DNR’s approach and it just doesn’t work. I am not sure if this is a scare tactic or a revenue generator but either way it has nothing to do with stopping the spread of AIS.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The DNR is at prior lake quite a bit this year, the guys have been more than nice, they even pull weeds off my boat while I’m going though my check list of pulling the plugs, tilt motor, transom saver, strap boat, put plug tether over boat strap. I explain that my “system” is secure the boat first and check for weeds last. They have it all done before my list is complete!! That, my friends is service!!

wannaplay

I was trailering my “fishing” boat at Madison Lake, and if anyone knows that lake, all the crap gets blown into the ramps there. The folks trailering their big azz cuddy pulled out with a jungle hanging from the trailer, and just keep on going. So there are some who don’t care, or don’t know.

wannaplay

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    What is wrong with people.

I don’t think it is what is wrong with people—I think it is what is wrong with the DNR!!! They state many violations are for having the plug in while going down the road—–explain to me how that is spreading or going to spread AIS. The problem is people have a healthy dose of common sense and see that it doesn’t make sense and the DNR doesn’t. Step back and use commons sense and look at the DNR’s approach and it just doesn’t work. I am not sure if this is a scare tactic or a revenue generator but either way it has nothing to do with stopping the spread of AIS.

Sinking more boats too, with folks used to keeping the plug in, it doesn’t become part of their routine. Not that I am speaking from experience or nothing…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

“Far too many people are still not following the law,” said Greg Salo, DNR central region enforcement manager. “Some of these laws have been on the books for more than 15 years and yet we’re still seeing a 26 percent violation rate at enforcement check stations. That’s unacceptable. Violators should know better by now.”

Mr. Salo, you my friend need to go back to McDonalds for some more training. His complete ignorance to his own failures angers me more than anything. How come its everyone else’s fault but his? Isn’t that YOUR job to inform the public and get them to conform?

He is something else!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Well the law is the law. If you want to pay a fine in the name of civil disobedience, then whatever. Pull you GD plug and follow the rules and then they don’t have to step up enforcement.

I guess it doesn’t matter to me. I make sure my captains clean up and take care of the plugs.

The more I hear people selfishly complain about the laws the more I realize it isn’t the wildlife spreading it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t have a big problem with the laws, just Salo’s stance that it’s not his responsibility that people aren’t obeying the law. He’s an a-hole if you ask me. I’m shocked that quote made it to their site.

I’ve never had a problem with the plug law, myself. I’ve obeyed that law for as long as I’ve owned a boat. Doesn’t bother me at all. In fact, I don’t believe the article even specifically says that the plug is the problem. I suspect that the vast majority of warnings and citations are for transporting water.

I’d be willing to bet that my boat is always transporting water and I fear the day I get a ticket for transporting rain water. I don’t think its realistic to have to sponge out my entire boat simply to leave my driveway.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

As I’ve said since they’ve started the pug law, “guilty ’til proven innocent is not the American way”.

It is the law and until it’s changed I…will keep my boat at Everts (in WI). )

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Less than 5 years they’ll want funding for anchor rope dryers, reel decontaminators, UV lighting thing-a-ma-bobs that do something, and watch out for the rubber gloves if you were swimming, yes, got to cover all areas for possible infestation…..

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

You are all missing the point.
    The point is to eliminate the fish (Mille Lacs) and to scare the fishing / boating public into taking up golf.(AIS) Raise property taxes to eliminate all the poor folks from being lake property owners.

The old adage “follow the money” is becoming crystal clear to this old boy.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

As I’ve said since they’ve started the pug law, “guilty ’til proven innocent is not the American way”.

The plug law is not whether or not you are transporting water. The plug law is that it is illegal to have your plug in when of the water. The law is not whether or not you are transporting AIS. So if your plug is in off the water, you are guilty. And another standard, you would be only able to convict once it was proved you had in fact already infected a body of water and affected that ecosystem….forever.

And when people don’t follow the law, it gives the DNR more credence to step up enforcement. And that nhamm I guess is why I got bent out of shape reading the release. If people can’t follow the existing laws, yeah, next step might be what you suggest.

Here is my thoughts on the validity of the plug law. If you are driving down the road and your plug is in, do you have a greater likelihood of transporting water from another body of water? Is it slightly more likely or vastly more likely? If you multiply the number of boats launching every day does the likelihood increase exponentially? Then doesn’t it stand to reason that if we get everyone to abide by the plug law, we will greatly reduce the speed at which AIS is spread? You think this might actually be the DNR’s goal, to slow the spread? So maybe getting into the habit of taking 2 minutes to pull and put in a plug is a good idea.

Now here is the Alanis Morissette irony. I come to you with this post as an ally, not a foe. I want less burdens when fishing. Now if people keep ignoring and fighting the laws, the DNR’s only recourse is to step up enforcement and get more laws passed.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I can see where some people would be cynical. You’ve obviously had some bad experiences.

I don’t like the spraying they do either. I think it is ridiculous. On a certain lake I know they spray the crap out of it too and guess what happens? Algae bloom. But you know, the lakeshore owners don’t like the weeds (actually I don’t know if anyone made a request or if it is the DNR acting alone). And they aren’t even spraying it for the milfoil I don’t think. They are spraying curly leaf pond weed which apparently is not native either, but who cares, its there, deal with it. The fish sure have. And the other thing that is funny is the milfoil hasn’t really taken hold in the lake, I am guessing because it isn’t clear enough. There are scattered clumps, but it is not nearly enough to be considered a nuisance. And the native milfoil grows just fine in the lake.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sounds like the DNR is giving lake closure advocates the ammunition they need. Maybe on purpose…….

TJ
    Hammond, WI

The claim that the DNR is falsely reporting milfoil infestations is bogus.

TJ
    Hammond, WI

They are spreading the money around if you are willing to go along with the program. Can’t raise the cost of a fishing license, but they can fine us when we leave the lake.

I would suspect that the money spent to implement all these AIS programs/inspections far outweighs the money gained from citations.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Sure am glad I live and fish in WI……

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

You’re right on, something is wrong with their “PUBLIC” announcement too!

Funny though is that at our Parks Commission meeting in Carver County Wednesday evening we got a great report in No Zebra mussels found and no mention of violation rate.

In the DNR Announcement, they talk of 26% Violation Rate but nothing about where these Violations are coming from. Are they from the Metro area, Brainerd Lakes region or in out of the way out-state areas such as far Northern or Southern MN?, Were majority of Violators on Fishing Boats or Pleasure Boats (Pontoon;s, Wake & Ski Boats, Jet Ski’s, Cruisers)? Just a broad statement seems to push blame on everyone, but more likely on Fishermen.

I understand the Plug Law and all the Rest of the Laws that Violate the Constitution and make us all Guilty before being proven, just opposite of everything else where we are Innocent until proven Guilty.

Just sad there are that many people being caught even more so violating the law when they should know there are Inspectors & Conservation Officers out there looking for Violations.

I really want to see more data on who and where these high number of Violations are coming from.

Another thought as to the timing of this News Release is that many Government Agencies are pushing through their budgets for 2015 right now, and thus this gives the Politicians approving budgets the push to say yes to spending more and increasing restrictions.

Just SAD!

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

Hey Pug, What ya think of the Vanek pickup??

Gundy

fish4all
    South Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>

Mr. Salo, you my friend need to go back to McDonalds for some more training. His complete ignorance to his own failures angers me more than anything. How come its everyone else’s fault but his? Isn’t that YOUR job to inform the public and get them to conform?

He is something else!

Really? You do realize that they have billboards on the side of the highways, television commercials, signs at all accesses with infestations, and half of the regulation booklet is pertaining to AIS and AIS infected lakes. What’s next? A CO standing at the access with a blow horn and yelling at people like a drill sergeant?

These people are either terribly lazy or they just don’t care. The laws have been on the books for a long time and the DNR has certainly spent a good amount of time trying to educate people through various channels.

I really never understood how people can go fishing without reading the regulation booklet. It’s your responsibility to learn and know the fish/game laws. When there are new laws they are announced on the news, in local papers, sporting magazines, brought up on fishing sites, and also available on the DNR site under press releases.

In the DNR Announcement, they talk of 26% Violation Rate but nothing about where these Violations are coming from. Are they from the Metro area, Brainerd Lakes region or in out of the way out-state areas such as far Northern or Southern MN?, Were majority of Violators on Fishing Boats or Pleasure Boats (Pontoon;s, Wake & Ski Boats, Jet Ski’s, Cruisers)? Just a broad statement seems to push blame on everyone, but more likely on Fishermen. [/quote]

What does it matter where they are from? The DNR is a statewide organization and I’m sure this is their statewide tally. And to blame all of this on another group of boaters is ridiculous. All types of boaters have lead to these issues. For example, I was fishing a south metro lake Wednesday evening and as I was leaving a guy (fisherman) was pulling out of the parking lot with about 10 pounds of weeds dragging from his trailer. This was not the one strand that he might have over looked, it was weeds almost completely covering his axel and hanging from the wheel covers. A guy actually yelled at him as he was leaving and tried to run along side of his truck to get his attention. Either he didn’t see him (don’t know how) or he just didn’t care. There is a AIS sign right as you walk onto the launching dock by the way.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

They already do, without the blow horn.

They’ve taken all these measures and yet the problem apparently still remains. Mr Salo doesn’t seem to want to assume any responsibility for that. Not much of a manager if you ask me.

What’s next? A CO standing at the access with a blow horn and yelling at people like a drill sergeant?

fish4all
    South Metro

What would you suggest?

Like I said above, there are going to be people that know the laws and just don’t care. The info is there for the taking.

I’m well aware that they are at the accesses too like you mentioned. Actually I forget to mention that in my educational resources above. So add that to billboards, TV commercials, reg books, thousands of signs at accesses throughout the state, ect…

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I’ll pull my plug and clean the trailer of weeds, beyond that they can start writing tickets.

BTW, this whole AIS scare is pretty much unproven isn’t it? Milfoil isn’t the disaster it was reported to be. Zeebs have cleaned Lake Erie and improved the fishing to historic levels. Nobody has proven flying Carp can survive winters up here.

Don’t you think it’s the uneducated property owners who should be the targets? Values have not dropped a nickel on any infested waters nor has the fishing suffered. So again………..before the DNR condemns fisherman they better get the story straight.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What would you suggest?

Like I said above, there are going to be people that know the laws and just don’t care. The info is there for the taking.

I’m well aware that they are at the accesses too like you mentioned. Actually I forget to mention that in my educational resources above. So add that to billboards, TV commercials, reg books, thousands of signs at accesses throughout the state, ect…

I don’t know. Otger than spreading the word on social networks, I won’t be doing anything. This is the DNR’s job, not mine.

Like I said before, I’ve followed the laws without issue ever since I got my drivers license but I dread the day I get a ticket for carrying 10oz of rain water in my boat. I know it happens and it is simply wrong.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth that mr. Salo wants to blame me for his failure.

fish4all
    South Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fish4all wrote:</div>
    What would you suggest?

I don’t know. Otger than spreading the word on social networks, I won’t be doing anything. This is the DNR’s job, not mine.

Like I said before, I’ve followed the laws without issue ever since I got my drivers license but I dread the day I get a ticket for carrying 10oz of rain water in my boat. I know it happens and it is simply wrong.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth that mr. Salo wants to blame me for his failure.

Fair enough. I think I misunderstood you from the get go. I thought you were arguing that the DNR has not done enough to educate people about the AIS laws.

I believe you have a problems with the wording of the laws that may lead to a ticket that is not deserved, i.e. lake water v.s. rain water.

Well anyway, that’s enough AIS talk for me for awhile. Time to put on the rain gear and head out fishing. ….little yellow guy waving…..

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

The Water does not matter, Any water being transported in a boat subjects the owner/operator to a Ticket & Fine.

In reference to my previous comment about where these Violations are coming from. Yes, It does matter. Here in the Twin Cities were blasted with Billboard’s, Radio & TV News spots about the problem and consequences of AIS. Are the people racking up Violations in the Metro or outstate where they may not be subject to the AiS Ads, etc? Is the DNR getting the message to the Violators or do we really have that many ignorant people out there?

Someone remarked about how the Inspector cleaned their boat & trailer while they tied everything down. Please don’t rely on them. We had a BASS Club tourney on a Large West Metro Lake. The Inspector, not being busy due to very few others out that day cleaned a few of our boats. As I checked her work, it was as SLOPPY as could be. I pulled numerous large strands of Milfoil and other weeds off a couple of the boats after she was done. Almost like being setup to have an officer waiting down the road. Luckily we didn’t trust her and cleaned the weeds, etc.

Yes, she was reported to her employer.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

BTW, this whole AIS scare is pretty much unproven isn’t it? Milfoil isn’t the disaster it was reported to be. Zeebs have cleaned Lake Erie and improved the fishing to historic levels. Nobody has proven flying Carp can survive winters up here.

True, but I still would prefer to see the spread slowed down as much as possible. I’d prefer ecosystems to stay as they were for hundreds of years for as long as possible. And you never know how an invasive is going to affect a lake. Could be positive or negative.

I too would like to see a break down of the data. Just throwing out numbers of citations doesn’t really tell you much.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’d prefer ecosystems to stay as they were for hundreds of years for as long as possible.

Doesn’t happen. With or without man.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Doesn’t happen. With or without man.

I’m talking all native species in the ecosystem, no invasives.

And don’t tell me that eventually a silver carp would jump from Asia to America or hitch a ride on a storks back. coffee

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.