A bit bumpy on the southern end of Lake Michigan

• Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

LMZ743>745-312145- CALUMET HARBOR TO GARY-GARY TO BURNS HARBOR- BURNS HARBOR TO MICHIGAN CITY- 912 AM CDT FRI OCT 31 2014

STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE TONIGHT REST OF TODAY NORTHWEST GALES TO 40 KT BECOMING NORTH STORM FORCE WINDS TO 50 KT IN THE LATE MORNING AND AFTERNOON. RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS WITH ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS. WAVES 8 TO 11 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 14 FT BUILDING TO 18 TO 23 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 28 FT INTO THE AFTERNOON. TONIGHT NORTH GALES TO 45 KT EASING TO 35 KT GALES TOWARD MIDNIGHT…THEN TO 30 KT TOWARD DAYBREAK. RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY IN THE EVENING…THEN SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. WAVES 18 TO 23 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 28 FT SUBSIDING TO 14 TO 18 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 23 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Someday, I want to be able stand someplace near & high enough to be safe but still see waves that big coming ashore.

desperado

when the Gales of November come earrllyyy

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

28 footers. Yikes. I’d like to witness something like that… obviously with my feet planted firmly on dry ground.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Funny you post that… I’m trying to break away for a few minutes and run down to the lake this afternoon…. Racine area. While I’m not a fan of all this wind, it will make for a few good photos, and it is doing a great job of clearing the leaves in my yard so I can fish next week. Neighbor won’t be happy… but…

Feel sorry for the kids out to trick or treat this evening.

desperado

grab a broom and the right cape … could do a very realistic witch this evening

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I have been down to the Milwaukee harbor to witness some of the big waves in the past. It is impressive to see the waves breaking over the concrete barriers on top of the break wall to say the least.
    Having spent some time on a Naval vessel during hurricane season on the Atlantic, and experiencing the ship rolling beyond the stops on the overhead crane in the hold for a couple of days, I would not want to be on Lake Michigan in any kind of boat or ship in those conditions.

grey-beard
    McFarland, Wisconsin

This is a link to the web cam for the harbor at MKE. You can control the camera with your mouse so you can get a look at the areas you are interested in. Must be popular on days like this because there were 12 in front of me waiting to control it. Someone was watching the water roar over the walls so I saw what I wanted.

http://www.lakefrontcam.com/

Camera must be off for the season at Port Washington harbor:

http://www.bait-box.biz/feed/

Grey Beard

desperado

hearing reports of a pretty good bite in the north-bound lanes of Lakeshore Drive

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I think we’re getting some of the spray here in Mokena from the lake Joel !!!!

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

The brown water surfing crowd are probably all rolling south about now.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Our guys had their flights cancelled in Chicago. Driving home instead.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

28 footers. Yikes. I’d like to witness something like that… obviously with my feet planted firmly on dry ground.

James you mean with your feet planted on HIGH dry ground correct?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James you mean with your feet planted on HIGH dry ground correct?

Correct. I’m usually not afraid of getting my feet wet but in this case I’d make a point to enjoy the spectacle from a safe, and dry, distance.

castle-rock-clown

so am I to assume you didn’t take out that new jon boat and test out its seaworthiness?

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quite some time ago I worked at a small children’s hospital on the south side of Chicago. The windows in our lab were literally less than 75 feet from the Lake Michigan shoreline. Some of the waves and storms we watched when a big north or northeast wind came in were awe inspiring. It gave me great respect for the big lakes.

sktrwx2200

Im sure a Skeeter could handle it. Ill watch from shore. James boat. Not mine. HAHA

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.