60 hp Mercury 4 Stroke

• Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I’m currently in the market for a new or used jon boat/tunnel hull type rig. Looked at a used rigged last night that had a 2012 60hp Mercury 4 stroke engine on the back. Its made by Tohatsu I believe which I have zero experience with.
    Anyone have any experience and/or know much about the reliability of this engine?

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Just talked with a salesman from Starks. He says that motor was not made by Tohatsu but is a true Mercury motor. Good to know but I’m still looking for any info I can find, good or bad, from those who may have one.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I’ve go one (a 2007 model) on a 16ft Crestliner Fish Hawk Tiller standard style Vee bottom. I love the heck out of that motor. Only had one problem which was covered under warranty with no issues. A coil went bad and it was replaced.

I’ll be gone out of town till Tuesday but would be glad to answer any questions you may have after that.

dbright
    Cambridge

Huntindave do you have the big tiller on yours? I am a few hrs out from picking up my new merc with the big tiller.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

30 hp is the largest motor Tohatsu builds for Mercury. (They also build Nissan motors.) Everything between that 30hp and 75 HP is made in Suzhou, China. I think 75s and up are made in the US.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Everything between that 30hp and 75 HP is made in Suzhou, China.

Art – that pretty much jives with what the salesman at Starks told me. The facility in China is an actual Mercury motor production plant according to him.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

I have the 60 4st Big Foot on my pontoon boat and really like it. Runs very quiet and smooth with good power for a 60 HP motor. I can troll very slow all day and it doesn’t load up at all. Also very good on fuel useage.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

joel,
    That 60 is a made in China by Mercury motor, and is available in 2 different tiller combinations, 1 being the ELHPT with the “short” handle off the port side, the other being a “remote” engine fitted with the Big Tiller handle, which is longer and mounted on the centerline.

I’m a big believer in the BT handle, it’s longer for easier steering, has the shifter further forward, and the tilt/trim switch at your thumb. Also available with the Troll Control switch on the handle (like Yamaha’s VTS).

HRG

of course, looking at your original posting, I’m not sure if you’re talking tiller or side console.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Art Green wrote:</div>
    Everything between that 30hp and 75 HP is made in Suzhou, China.

Art – that pretty much jives with what the salesman at Starks told me. The facility in China is an actual Mercury motor production plant according to him.

According to Uncle Baldy -Yep, just Mercury in that facility.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

of course, looking at your original posting, I’m not sure if you’re talking tiller or side console.

Both as I’m basically gathering info at this point.
    Thanks for your input!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

joel,
    That 60 is a made in China by Mercury motor, and is available in 2 different tiller combinations, 1 being the ELHPT with the “short” handle off the port side, the other being a “remote” engine fitted with the Big Tiller handle, which is longer and mounted on the centerline.

I’m a big believer in the BT handle, it’s longer for easier steering, has the shifter further forward, and the tilt/trim switch at your thumb. Also available with the Troll Control switch on the handle (like Yamaha’s VTS).

HRG

Mine has the short tiller handle mounted to the port side. This works out well with my particular boat because of seat placement. I have no issues with reach but it would be nice to have the trim buttons right on the tiller. For a smaller 16 footer like my Fish Hawk, I feel the short tiller would be the best choice (IMHO).

In a bigger boat the BIG TILLER might be a better choice but then I’d be looking at a larger motor as well.

Getting back to the original poster; Looking at a used rig, aside from the tiller debate, the motor (IMHO) is a solid motor. Has plenty of power and trolls nicely. Mine trolls at 2.5 mph on flat water. Throw out one or two bags tied to the bow to slow it down to around .8 mph.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Good info Huntindave.
    Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.