June 16
    to
    April 14
    for catch and release only.
    Closed April 15 to June 15.
    When the closing date of a season falls on a
    Saturday, the season does not extend through the
    following Sunday.

FYI there is no change to the St Croix or Lake of the Woods harvest season.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

April seems a little early to close the season. I though spawning occured June/July timeframe.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

and Nov 30 seems too late to close the flathead season.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Thanks for the update! Is this official to share?

Why even complicate it with a
    season at all? SMH…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I can only speculate on the close months.

I’ve seen some videos of the sturgeon spawn and they are in very shallow water in very large numbers. I would guess the DNR is trying to leave them alone during the spawn to prevent undue stress. Even catch and release will stress a fish.

Until we have enough documentation that says C&R during spawn won’t hurt reproduction, I’m ok with a few months closed.

If a person catches one cat fishing, they are likely not spawning and would be C&R anyway.

Darrin, the above info was directly from the revisor page.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So, can I assume the c&r season officially opens on June 16? I was really hoping for next March/April.

mr. pike

So if the seasons on the Rainy river and St. Croix river are remaining the same as in the past, what bodies of water are going to be open in 2015 for Catch and release sturgeon starting in June?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN
    mr. pike wrote:

So if the seasons on the Rainy river and St. Croix river are remaining the same as in the past, what bodies of water are going to be open in 2015 for Catch and release sturgeon starting in June?

All inland bodies of water in mn for catch and release only.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I know I can’t name all the waters holding Sturgeon, but there’s Ottertail and the St. Louis River to name a couple.

Remember, although the catch and keep season on the St Croix and LoTW’s will stay the same, they’ll be open to C&R though out the year.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I can only assume this new catch and release season will be statewide, so what about the short catch and release window on the Rainy that won’t be covered under this new season. Say from about April 14-20 (or when ever that harvest season opens up there)?

lhprop1
    Eagan

For those of us who’ve mostly only fished the river during the sturgeon season, do the sturgies stick to pretty much the same places year round (excluding the spawn) or do they have seasonal movement patterns like other fish?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.